April 19, 2005

Things that bite about Yahoo 360

  • Most importantly; not enough Canadian Support - Yahoo notifications don't work, Launchcast Radio doesn't work, posting favourite local businesses is for US subscribers only.
  • Secondly, and most importantly for serious bloggers; no template tweaking!
  • Blog entries should be on the first page - at least enough to fill the page if no other services are chosen - partly because they are not available to Canadian users. Oh, and if I did want to just publisize my blog page alone, check out this lovely URl http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-K.DC_I49cqclFt8z.v0qwvi8jlB6WnRNkJ.5
  • You can't delete a picture entry placement if there is no associated picture - why is there a picture associated with my group - if I can post a picture to represent the group, how do I do that? If I can't, or choose not to, how do I delete the picture place holder?
  • Only Yahoo users can comment on blog posts - what is up with that? What if my 72 year old father wants to add something about a family photo. You really think he is going to go to the trouble of setting up a yahoo account to do it? Not!
  • NO SPELL CHECK! Are they kidding me? I would never have been able to hold down a job if it weren't for spell checking
  • Picture size. I have a KickAss digital camera. I don't want to have to down size all the pictures I want to post before doing so. Other blogging software allows you to do that, why not Yahoo 360?
Yahoo 360 may be in beta, and I'm really glad that I was given an opportunity to check it out. Unfortunately, the features are so restrictive that I'm not sure how much use I will get out of it.

I'm not giving up, I'm sure that many are giving their feedback, as I have, and measures are being taken to rectify the inadequacies-one hopes anyway.

2 comments:

Kerry Woo said...

Hmmm, my initial reaction was I don't have the energy to create a second blog - but if Yahoo 360 serves as a easy entry point for some to "kick the tires" and grow into blogging, then so be it -
So, tell me how do you really feel about Yahoo 360? Ha!

Lianne said...

Hey Kerry. You know, keeping up a second blog doesn't pose too much of a problem for me because I really wanted the Yahoo thing to be a personal photo heavy friends/family entity. If it's ease of use for beginners you are talking about, I had this blog up and running in about 5 minutes and I didn't know a thing about blogging at the time. It can't get any easier than that. I'm more dissapointed that Yahoo has restricted it's use to only Yahoo users. Maybe they will open it up once it is out of beta. I don't get the Canadian content thing - this is the internet, borderless, what stops them from including every country's content. But what really sticks in my craw is no spell checker - I mean, I may be an adult and all, but there is one thing from my childhood that never seemed to leave me and that is the absolute inability to spell - I'm pathetic frankly - reminded of it daily and need all the help I can get! :)

Oh well, back to the business of posting web stuff...cheers!