We all know that having an anti virus software running on your computer is a must these days. The question becomes, which one is the right one for you? Most commercial programs come jam packed with features and functions that you not only don't need or use, but can also slow down your system considerably.
Grisoft has a very good anti virus program designed for corporate use but they also have a version for personal use that is free. Check out their site, especially if you are in IT, or go here for the free version to run on your personal computer.
2 comments:
AVG isn't bad. But check out Avast Home Edition (free for noncommercial users) from http://www.avast.com .
Some reasons why I like Avast better than AVG:
AVG doesn't necessary give "freeloaders" the latest version. Avast does. A few bells and whistles are reserved for paying customers but nothing essential is omitted from the free version.
If you are not a cash customer, Grisoft doesn't want to hear from you. I tried to tell them about numerous false alarms I was getting. They ignored me. Avast has internet forums where the developers gladly answer any questions from anyone. (And Avast doesn't give me false alarms.)
When I tried AVG (admittedly it's been awhile) it didn't work with Pegasus, my favorite email client. Avast set itself up to work with Pegasus almost automatically. Avast can now do the same for Thunderbird, the new email client from the makers of Mozilla and Firefox.
In my experience, downloading updates to the AVG database was time-consuming. Avast uses incremental updates which means that even at dialup speed it usually takes only a couple of minutes. Every day Avast automatically checks to see if I'm connected to the internet, and if I am, it fetches the latest update if there is one.
Well, hey Neil, I think you did a pretty good job of explaining Avast yourself. And, I love that you shared something with me any my readers; I've never heard of Avast, but I intend to do a little research on it and include it here in a few days.
I've never had a problem with AVG. Goes to show you that sometimes particular configurations can effect free software and you need to find the right one that suites you best. I use pro software on my business computers of course, but I have a small laptop at home that is used occasionally and I run AVG on that. It's running Window's ME, so to not be having any problems with it is like some kind of miracle for me. But anyway, thanks for the heads up.
Post a Comment