October 08, 2004

SMS the Google way.


Well, Google is at it again; this time it's SMS messaging on your phone.

I don't personally own one of these phones but with this kind of service, I just might. It promises to be the equivalent of carrying around a local phone book for every city you visit. Imagine traveling to New York and trying to find the nearest pizza parlor. Just dial 46645 (googl) on your phone, and text message your query - pizza New York. Google will do its thing and in a few seconds you will have all the listings you need to find the pizza parlor nearest you.

Other searches Google SMS can help you with besides business listings are residential listings, word definitions, price listings and a calculator - albeit a slow one.

Knowing Google as we do, there will be other SMS services offered in the future. It's all free for now (which is why I mention it here) but I can't wonder how long that will last.

No comments: