Here are two really great reasons you will want to switch your web browser from Microsoft's Internet Explorer to Mozilla's FireFox.
1 - Tabbed browsing. FireFox has a built in feature that allows you to surf the internet, and never loose track of the site you started from. No, I'm not talking about the "history" feature, although that can be useful too. I'm talking about the ability to open up a new browsing page or tab within the program itself. Using FireFox, you can open up a link on a web site by right clicking on it and choosing "Open Link in New Tab" it's just that simple. You'll be taking your web session wherever you want to go, and your originating web site will be at the ready; you need only click on its tab to bring it back in view.
Another great use for tabbed browsing is setting up groups of tabs and saving them as a bookmark. For instance, I have 5 favourite DVD/Music shopping sites set up so I can do quick price comparisons. It's a lot easier than wearing out the back button in IE.
2 - Microsoft is not updating older versions of IE. Yup, Microsoft wants people using older versions of their Windows operating system (2000, ME, '98) to upgrade to XP. In order to encourage this they are refusing to fix versions of IE running on these operating systems. So all the IE vulnerabilities, and there are some pretty scary ones, will not be fixed in any patch available from Microsoft. Now that is the definition of built in obsolescence if ever I've heard.
The real fix? Dump Internet Explorer right now and install FireFox. It is a safer browser and it works just like IE. You won't be disappointed.
September 27, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment